RS Sharma, Chairman, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) was conferred WiFi Leader of the Year at the third edition of My India WiFi India Summit & Awards 2019 organised by DigiAnalysys at Hotel Imperial in New Delhi.
RS Sharma has been a strong proponent of public WiFi deployment on a large scale through PDOA (Public Data Office Aggregator) model based on open architecture called WANI (WiFi Access Network Interface). He recommended sharing of active infrastructure related to WiFi router, access point and backhaul. In 2018, he recommended IFC (In Flight Connectivity) for marine as well as aircraft and also gave a strong push for expediting allocation of E-band and V-band to service providers.
The day long Summit was themed “Leveraging WiFi for Building a New Age India” where senior leaders from WiFi industry discussed about WiFi opportunities in rural, urban, enterprise and mobility WiFi so that public WiFi hotspot numbers can jump 6x to reach 2.1 million by 2021 from 0.3 million.
The summit saw presence of industry stalwarts including Dinesh Tyagi, CEO, CSC SPV; Sarvesh Singh, CMD, BBNL; A Seshagiri Rao, CMD, TCIL; Vipin Tyagi, Executive Director, C-DOT; K Alagesan, CMD, ITI; TV Ramachandran, President, BIF; Rajan S Mathews, Director General, COAI; Rajat Kathuria, Director & CEO, ICRIER; Vivek Banzal, Director – CFA, BSNL; TR Dua, Director General, TAIPA; Ashwani Rana, Director – Public Policy, Facebook; Sudarshan Boosupalli, Director & Country Head, Ruckus Networks and others.
Commenting on the occasion, Pravin Prashant, Editor, DigiAnalysys said, “India has already achieved 300,000 WiFi hotspots and is strongly poised to achieve 2.1 million by 2021 thanks to strong push by the government through BBNL, RailTel, Smart Cities and MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Department) and WiFi service providers in the country.”
The day long summit was spread across five sessions and focused on themes such as: Leveraging WiFi for Building A New Age India; WiFi Hotspots in Rural: Opportunities and Challenges; Enterprise WiFi Hotspots: Exploring Monetisation and Enhancing Custom Experience; WiFi Hotspots in Urban: Opportunities and Challenges; and E-SIM/In-flight Connectivity/WiFi on the Move: Connecting the Dots.
On this occasion, Broadband India Forum (BIF) and DigiAnalysys released a White Paper on “Liberalized Public Wi-Fi Hotspots”.
The highlight of the summit was WiFi Leadership Awards ceremony where innovative and path breaking projects, personalities and companies were felicitated.
Winners- WiFi Leadership Awards 2019:
- WiFi Leader of the Year – RS Sharma, Chairman, TRAI
- Best WiFi Startup – CSC Wi-Fi Choupal Services India
- Best WiFi Service Provider – QuadGen Wireless Solutions
- Best WiFi System Integrator – TCIL
- Best Enterprise WiFi Product – Ruckus Networks
- Best Cloud WiFi Solution – XiFi Smart Networks
- Best Carrier Grade WiFi Product – UTStarcom India Telecom
- Best Home WiFi Product – D-Link (India)
- Best WiFi Innovation – Reliance Jio and Sterlite Technologies
- Best Public WiFi Project – BSNL
- Best Smart City WiFi Project – L&T SW&C
- Best Enterprise WiFi Project – Amity University
- Best Social WiFi Project – ONEOTT iNTERTAINMENT
- Best Make in India WiFi Company – Maksat Technologies
- Best WiFi Monetisation Solution – BSNL and LMES
- Best WiFi OSS/BSS Solution – Inventum Technologies
- Most Promising WiFi Brand – Shyam Spectra
- Editor’s Choice for Best WiFi Security Brand – Aruba (A HPE Company)